MENTOR Richmond is a unique team-based mentoring program for young professionals (YPs) and mid-level managers. This program is not your traditional one-to-one mentoring program. It is an opportunity for a new team of 20 ambitious, young professionals to gather and learn from local executives and one another during an eight-month period.
Apply if you are: searching for a mentor, focused on professional development, want to meet high profile leaders in the Greater Richmond area, and WANT TO BE INSPIRED.
- June 12 – Applications due
- August 7 – Candidates will be notified regarding selection
Have questions? Contact Sarah Skrocki at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804.783.9301.
- Provide a venue for YPs to meet and learn from local executives.
- Connect YPs who share the same goals and that can share professional knowledge and experience.
- Expedite the development of future leaders.
- Encourage personal growth, career development, lifestyle enhancement and goal achievement.
- Encourage professionals to be more educated about managing their careers.
- Exposure to senior leaders in the Greater Richmond Region.
- Connections within the community.
- Better understanding of business and career growth.
- Development and achievement of personal and professional goals.
- Improved communication skills.
- An Insights Self-Discovery workshop and a Discovery Personal Profile
Participation is limited. To apply, you must have support from your corporation, organization or association, and you must be:
- You are an early-career professional with a desire to grow your career and be more actively engaged in the Richmond community
- You are ready to learn and be inspired by regional leaders who are at the top of their game professionally
- You desire to build relationships with like-minded professionals who are committed to personal and professional growth, and giving back to the Richmond community
- You are committed to applying what you learn to your own leadership journey
- Career-driven with a strong focus on professional development.
- You are prepared to spend time as a team before, during and after each mentoring session.
- 5-9 years of experience
The program requires all mentees to be available for two 2-hour sessions a month between October 2018 and May 2019. All meetings will take place after business hours between 5-7 pm, and most meetings are scheduled on Wednesdays. If you have a scheduled conflict on one of these monthly Wednesdays, please indicate this on your application so we can place you in the correct class. Note that if you miss more than the allowed total of 4 sessions you will be asked to leave the program.
Participants will find out their class number and their team at the orientation.
There is a $950 program fee that includes an Insights Self-Discovery workshop and a Discovery Personal Profile. There will be NO REFUNDS once payment is received. Partial scholarships up to $375 are available. Your employer may contribute any portion of the fee on your behalf. Please refer to the application for more information.
Things to keep in mind if you are accepted into the MENTOR Richmond program:
Prepare for self-improvement
The program kicks off with an Insights Self-Discovery workshop. This will give you a practical framework for understanding yourself and others better. As a participant of MENTOR Richmond, you will also receive a unique Discovery Personal Profile. This 22-page personal development tool provides an engaging, reinforcing and transformational insight into yourself, your interpersonal skills and your team interactions.
Bring your whole self
The program is designed to be a series of conversations between you and many of Richmond’s business leaders. Bring an enthusiastic voice and personal point-of-view to each mentor conversation—ask questions, listen, learn, explore and contribute.
Read your InfoPAK
The MENTOR Richmond InfoPAK you will receive as a participant is filled with bios, perspectives, interests, backgrounds, questions and answers. Get to know not only the mentors who will be speaking with you but those sitting next to you. And don’t stop there. Magazines, newspapers, TV, internet and water cooler conversations are all great places to expand your knowledge of the industries and individuals involved in the MENTOR Richmond program.
The work week keeps all of us busy. But to get the most possible from the MENTOR Richmond experience, carve out the time and mental space to arrive at these sessions on-time and engaged and excited for the conversations about to be had.
As you participate in MENTOR Richmond conversations, it is up to you to share what you’ve learned with your team, your organization and the greater Richmond community. We hope you will serve as an ambassador, mining the ideas and perspectives that come from this program and carrying them forward to a wider audience.